Recipes from your blogs
For Valentine’s Day I have chosen a wonderful cream from my list of “Recipes from your blogs”: Crema Catalana.
Actually, today’s dessert has already been chosen when I read the recipe on Manu’s Menu weeks before.
I halved the quantity and used ground cinnamon instead of cinnamon bark and lemon juice instead of zest. And unfortunately, we don’t have a balloon whisk yet, so I whisked the mixture with our little wooden spoon. It was hard work but worth it.
Yield: 4 ramekins
- 5 dl milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 egg yolks
- 60 g sugar
- 20 g food starch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Boil the milk in a saucepan.
- Add the ground cinnamon and the lemon juice, cook 2 more minutes.
- In a bigger saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and food starch until white.
- Heat the egg yolk mixture and slowly add the milk. Stir or whisk constantly.
- Cook over medium heat until the cream thickens, like pudding.
- Divide the cream between 4 ramekins and let it cool down to room temperature, then cool further in the fridge.
- Just before serving, caramelize half tablespoon of sugar on the top of each crema catalana (I used my blowtorch).