Once upon a time…
My love with Dobos cake began in a wedding party when I was a little girl. When the time came, the wedding cake was carried around and the slices were passed from hand to hand. When I received my plate and saw the splendid slice on it, I suddenly fell in love. The nicely lined up layers, the chocolate filling and the hard caramel topping…
I think Dobos cake is my favorite one. So to test my blowtorch (my boyfriend gifted me) of course I chose this recipe. This was a test of my cake tin as well. (See Stéphanie cake recipe.) Both did well, but the proper regulation of the gas flame need to be practiced.
This happened a little more than a year ago. While enjoying the last days of the summer holiday, I applied for a job. I spent my last semester of Masters and the only thing I had to do was to write my thesis. So working full time wouldn’t mean a problem. But back to the story: I was hard at work on caramelizing the sugar with the blowtorch when my phone rang. The company called me in for an interview. Since then I work there as a civil engineer and I enjoy it.
Ingredients (6 layers, baking pan 25 cm in diameter):
- 6 eggs
- 12 dkg (4.2 ounces) icing sugar
- 12 dkg (4.2 ounces) flour
- 20 dkg (7 ounces) butter
- 10 dkg (3.5 ounces) chocolate for tart
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- sugar as needed for topping
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Whip together the egg yolks and the icing sugar.
- Gently stir in the whipped egg whites.
- Add the flour, one spoon at a time. Mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 356°F (180°C).
- Put bakery paper onto the bottom plate of the baking pan, grease it with butter and strew it with flour.
- Pour 4-5 tablespoon of mass onto the plate, smooth it (1st layer of 6).
- Bake 10 minutes, then cool it down on a cooking grate to prevent sweating.
- Then grease the bakery paper with butter and strew it with flour again and bake the 2nd layer and then the others.
- While the layers are relaxing, make the cream.
- Whip the melted butter.
- Heat the chocolate with 1 tablespoon milk and 1 teaspoon butter. Stir constantly until combined.
- Pour the chocolate cream into the whipped butter with 2 tablespoons sugar. Stir until combined.
- Layer (and cover) the cake, except the top layer.
- Slice the top layer (12 slices).
- Caramelize the sugar on the slices, one slice at a time (I used my blowtorch).
- Decorate the top of the cake with the slices.
- Put the cake into the fridge for a while.