For Valentine’s Day
… and for the weekend I’ve made Cossack hat. Although I didn’t form it like a hat, the coconut wasn’t skipped.
This happened almost 2 month ago.
Since my last entry, my boyfriend got his first job (unexpectedly next to my workplace) and he has moved in my apartment. So we spent Valentine’s Day together. We visited the Tropicarium in Budapest where we were impressed by the sharks.
Since my last entry, we have visit several apartments too, because this one is very small for two. A week ago we have found the perfect apartment, so we have to move again soon. I can’t wait for it!
Since my last entry, I was re-thinking the design of my blog too. Here is the result, hope You like it!
But back to the recipe. I needed to simplify the design of the cake again: I didn’t form little hats and I put shredded coconut into the cream instead of covering the hats with it.
Yield: 2 layers, 18 x 25 cm baking pan
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 package baking powder
- 2 dl milk
- 8 dkg sugar
- 2 tablespoons food starch
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- 12.5 dkg butter
- 5 dkg icing sugar
- 5 dkg shredded coconut
- 10 dkg chocolate for tart
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Whip together the egg yolks and the sugar.
- Gently stir in the whipped egg whites.
- Add the baking powder and the flour, one spoon at a time. Mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Put bakery paper into the baking pan, grease it with butter and strew it with flour.
- Pour the half of the mass into the baking pan (1st layer of 2).
- Bake 15-20 minutes (test with a toothpick), then cool it down on a cooking grate to prevent sweating.
- Then grease the bakery paper with butter and strew it with flour again and bake the 2nd layer.
- While baking, make the cream.
- Stir the food starch with a little milk until combined.
- Heat the remaining milk with the sugar, add the food starch mixture and the vanilla sugar. Stir constantly.
- Cook until it becomes thicker like pudding, then cool it down.
- Melt the butter, add the icing sugar and the shredded coconut, whisking just until combined.
- Stir together the thick cream and the coconut mixture.
- Layer the cake.
- Heat the chocolate with 1 tablespoon milk and 1 teaspoon butter. Stir constantly until combined.
- Cover the cake with it.